Welcome to Term 2! This term we have introduced Tōmene Explore, a structured play based learning from 1.45-3pm. The aim of this is to encourage engagement in other curriculum areas and give students a chance explore their interests through a less formal approach to learning.
The children are able to select curriculum themes (in maths – music – visual art – construction – health and physical wellbeing) to participate in. The teachers set up different explore stations that the students can learn and interact in.
The main aims of this type of learning are:
- for children to have more authentic opportunities to learn social skills, problem solving, decision making and independence
- for children to have more frequent opportunities to have their learning personalised and student driven
- to reflect on their own culture as well as have exposure to new concepts and experiences
- to learn that literacy and numeracy skills are meaningful and useful parts of everyday life
We have had a great start to Term 2, everyone is settled and we look forward to the rest of 2019! Feel free to come in anytime for a chat or just to say hi. Look forward to seeing you throughout the year.
Latest posts from Gabrielle
- Storypark in the Junior Pods (9/6/2019)
- Lost Property (8/8/2019)
- Independent Reading Room in Pods 3-5 (8/1/2019)
- Term 3 is here! (8/1/2019)
- Tōmene Explore – MUSIC (5/21/2019)
- Junior Pods: Tōmene-Explore Time! (5/16/2019)
- Junior Electives: Plan and Make wk 6 (3/14/2019)
- Junior Electives: Plan and Make wk 5 (3/14/2019)
- Reminder: Moving March 8:15am Friday! (3/14/2019)
- Clay Play Learning – Art Elective (3/4/2019)
- 2019 Capital E National Arts Festival (3/4/2019)
- Junior Pods: Build and Play Trailer! (3/4/2019)
- Junior School P.E Elective (2/27/2019)
- Pod 5 – All About ME! (2/22/2019)
- Junior Pods 4-6: Water Form Models (12/11/2018)